TEN REASONS TO BE A UNION REPRESENTATIVE
There are lots of good reasons to be a union rep, whether you get involved in grievances, negotiations, arbitrations, employee meetings, or information gathering & analysis. Here are ten that we hope lead you to think about getting involved.
1. It is a chance to help co-workers who are either going through a rough time or are just being denied a fair chance to succeed.
2. You will learn how things are really done and decided in your office and organization.
3. It gives you a chance to see how bad managers operate as well as good ones.
4. You get to exercise your problem-solving and team work skills.
5. It gives you more visibility among co-workers and management.
6. You get official time away from your permanent job to perform representational duties. Many see that as an opportunity to get some variety in their lives. Generally, your regular workload is reduce to give you time to perform union duties.
7. It is an opportunity to try to put your values and perspectives into action.
8. You can step out of the representational work any time you want.
9. It is a leadership opportunity, especially if you like people.
10. You are legally protected against retaliation for performing union work.
If you are interested, see your local union leaders.
(This is a reposting of a piece originally posted in October 11, 2011)